þriðjudagur, desember 13, 2005

Burn, motherfucker Frosty, burn

In case you wondered where I had been - the headline for the last week/s was EXAM time. No knitting, no surfing, no blogging, no nothing.. Consequently, there is no knitting to show.
Okay, almost.. After submitting all my papers last Friday night, I was rewarded again with a mini-holiday aka a weekend in a 'summerhouse'. Beware, this sounds more pompous than it is. In fact, all unions own several huts all over the country and since virtually every Icelander is member to (at least one) union (I think it must be the highest per head quota in the world) you have almost unlimited access to subsidised holiday destinations. Very nice. And also, the Icelanders mainly spend their summer there. Quite understandable for the weather conditions we had the two times now: Rain, icy rain.. okay, you've heard that before.. but all equals to nothing else to do then hang out in the jacuzzi, or watching movies, or knitting and so on. However, in the aftermath of my exam stress, I did not even bother to bring a knitting project along! But when the decision fell for a 'Lord of the Ring' night, ALL three parts, extended versions, - I almost freaked. Not for the movie part, but the idea to spend 10-12 hours of TV watching without knitting!? GASP! Fortunately I found a hank of Knitpicks sock yarn deep down in my bag from the last weekend trip when I was overambitiously equipped with five or six projects. Naturally, I always carry dpns with me!
Redwoodforest Cable and rib
You can clearly see the evidence for my burn-out: I casted on for ANOTHER pair of Rib and Cable socks by Nancy Bush. Toe-up this time, no more challenge than this. (And no, I did not knit all the time, otherwise at least one sock should be finished, right?)

But now for the interactive part!
Christmas arrived somewhat early here due to some extra care taking of my parents. Last year the Christmas parcel made it all the way to Rio de Janeiro, where it rested some while in the shade of Sugar Loaf Mountain (probably for the chocolate items to get a nice roast). It finally arrived in late February, being closer to an agglomeration than a single shippment. Whatever.. This year, the Christmas elves obviously had a map and everything went fine. Except my Christmas attitude - I already opened it.
Look:
Sock yarn stash
Sock yarn! Actually no gift, more the 'filling material' I had shipped to my parents. For example from Marianne and her fabulous Opal-Shop. International shipping, EXTREMELY nice contact, pay her a visit!

Though I am an avid sock knitter, I have problems imagining myself knitting so many socks in a life-time the near future. What to do? Obviously, sharing it is. For a good karma and so.. and on selfish grounds for I enjoy watching YOU knitting socks so much.

Frosty
Am I trying to confuse you now with stupid, senseless pictures?
No - I gave the above some thought and came up with a sort of contest.

+ + + CONTEST + + + CONTEST + + + CONTEST + + +

The idea was to have you show me some ludicrous pictures of Christmas excrescences. Like this one, where a giant inflated snowman fondles a gas heater!
Frosty fondles gas heater
But then I thought about the occasional click I get from India, Egypt, Mongolia, Saudi Arabia... and who am I to limit the scope to (pseudo-)religious symbols.
You will also qualify with a picture of something ridicilous from your neighbourhood. A strange garden ornament, a funny sign of a shop, some cryptic monument, just anything but

a) it must be local (photographed by you, no web findings) and

b) it has to make me gasp in embarrassment me smile

c) you will only have time until next year! (Deadline 31.12.2005)

And best of all, my sick sense of humour or taste in follies shouldn't stop you from participating and winning - there will be a randomly chosen winner as well!
Now, do not hesitate and take part! Leave me a comment when you posted something on your blog. If you don't have a blog, leave a commetn for sending me a picture via email - There is no excuse! Spread the word, I'd love to see many droll pictures.

3 ummæli:

Nafnlaus sagði...

Oh, there are plenty of really tacky excrescences around here! I will keep camera at the ready!!

Nafnlaus sagði...

Ha! I already had plans of photographing a bit of holiday craziness that happens in my hometown and posting on my blog. I think those pics might qualify for your contest. I'll let you know when I get pictures sometime next week.

And I am very much regretting not getting a picture of Santa, red coat thrown over a chair but the rest of the costume still on, reading in a study carol at my school's library. That might have been a winnner... but alas, no camera.

Nafnlaus sagði...

OK, from now on, I will carry sock yarm and DPN's in my car always. Just in case.
I love this contest. We see some decorations around here that make even my dogs stare in amazement.

Congratulations on getting your papers finished!