laugardagur, febrúar 18, 2006

Pallid pictures

My camera is definitely more on the dark/cold colour side these days. Maybe I am choosing the wrong motives for the training shots? (hear this.. 'training shots'! The Olympic spirit seems to rub off on me just by following the terrific reports in some blogs.)

Hafnarfjordur

Probably that's the explanation for the not-so-happy look of my feet on this picture. I can assure you, the colours are more vibrant in real life. Because some people asked: the yarn is Trekking XXL and the colourway is 'called' 110. As you can probably see, I do not mind irregular striping but running out of yarn. That's why I chose to knit up the 100g skein both, from center and outside, resulting in reversed colour sequels. - They are no nation colour socks ;-)
Trekking socks colour 110

Next on the knitting list is of course the Sockapalooza project whereas I do not intend to finish them too soon. I couldn't stand not to be able to send them away for MONTHS! Nonetheless, I did some swatching...
Trekking socks colour 110
It looks like I am going to be very lucky. The measurements my pal sent me are met in this combination of stitch numbers and needle size (the rosewood dpn's 2,25mm!). Look, there's no sign of pooling and what a neat little short row heel.

Plain stockinette stitch is of course not what I am aiming for. My little knitting antennas almost unconsciously directed me into the direction of the Pomatomus pattern from knitty.com's winter issue. Struggling along I found out that many other knitters are not afraid of this pattern as well. Well, it looks gorgeous, even in my rather off-colour picture if I may say so.
Lorna's Laces Pomatomus
This pattern - read 'piquant' in the instructions! - is however a bitch to knit up. Even though I soon understood the pattern's construction and do not have to sneak a peek onto the chart anymore, I have to take a look at e-v-e-r-y single stitch I knit. If I should decide to keep on with this pattern, dear sockpal, be aware that this is far more attention for a project than I have ever spend before. Not that the Lorna's Laces wouldn't be worth it.. yes, and you, and you, dear sockpal! ..but it is quite a change and challenge for me. Besides a certain reluctance to really keep on with the pattern for the above reason, I am also not sure if it goes with the yarn. It is rather sharply accentuated and geometric, which I really really like. But is it perfect for the chosen dreamy colours?
Help me out.

I'll leave you with another demonstration of the training shots that seem to adjust my camera's colour preferences.
Hafnarfjordur
[Hafnarfjörður habour]

12 ummæli:

Stephanie sagði...

Both of the socks look beautiful & the photography too. This is probably the prettiest blog post I've seen in awhile.

Nafnlaus sagði...

I, too, have been drooling over Pomatomus. But if I get together to courage to give it a go I think I'll make it for myself and not my sockpal. :)

Ashley sagði...

Ooh, love the pomatomus! And the lovely short row heel. And also the gorgeous sky in that last shot!

Rebecca sagði...

Býr þú í Hafnarfirði? Kærastinn minn er frá Hafnarfirði. Mjög fallegar myndir. I love that purple colourway on those socks, and it looks nice with that pattern so far. I´m sure your pal will like it.

Nafnlaus sagði...

Hi!

Love the socks. I think the pomatomus pattern looks great, it's a bit difficult to jugde whether it goes with the colors from the close-up. We wants more pics ;-)

On the first photo I was really trying hard to place the church somewhere in Rvík, "hmmm... where is it, it can't be Dómkirkjan, what can it be?" Then all made sense in the last one. So you live in Hafnafjörður? And why? WHY? ;-) (just kidding)

Laura sagði...

The photos are beautiful and so are both pairs of socks! I think the Pomatomus pattern is great for that Lorna's Laces. It shows off the variegation nicely.

ofpinsandneedles sagði...

Much as I think the pattern is amazing and your knitting of it equally so, I agree with you on the disjunction between the 'dreamy' yarn colours and the geometric pattern. I think a softer, more cloud/candy-floss-like pattern might be the thing
;)

WandaWoman sagði...

Actually I think the colors go well with the Pomatomus pattern and it looks great. The photos are not pallid, they are in fact beautiful. Thank you for sharing some of scenery.

lesley sagði...

i like the colors and the pattern. i would have done something similar i think. so many people get hung up on matching a yarn to a pattern. i just say go for it. you may do something that no one else has and make something beatiful. which i think you have :) and i love the photos you are taking. enjoy the camera :)

Cheryl sagði...

The sox are beautiful! I have just finished my very first ever pair of sox and I am amazed by your skill and daring!

Thank you for the wonderful photos! I love your blog.

Jenny Raye sagði...

I swatched a similar pattern--Wyvern--in some LL Gold Hill (you can see it at my blog), but I'm afraid that the pattern gets lost in the colorway. I asked on my blog and got varying responses. Took it to my SnB on Monday, and we decided that the pattern does get lost. It's hard to tell close up, but hold the baby at arm's length and you totally lose the pattern. If you're going to put so much time into that beautiful pattern, you really want it to shine. JMO, though. It is beautiful in the photo.

Nafnlaus sagði...

I'd been considering doing a pair of Pomatomus's for my sockpal as well, but I had to back off when I read the pattern... I hate doing a lot of twisted stitches. Hut ab wenn die fertig sind!! Your pal is very lucky!!